Friday, April 29, 2011

Farm Life {Update}


Things are moving along at the YouTube farm.  The in-laws have nicknamed it that because most of our farming education has come from YouTube or Google.  Hilarious! 




We have been enjoying lettuce, onions, radishes, spinach & mustard greens from the garden.  I have never liked radishes until now.  They taste amazing & have such a kick to them.





The baby chicks are growing fast.  Soon they will be laying eggs.  I cannot wait!  Farm fresh eggs are amazing & will make you never want to buy eggs from the grocery store again.  They even make cake, pancakes, waffles, etc. better.  I swear by them.  We let the kids play with these chicks and get attached to them because their purpose is to stick around & lay eggs.


These poor chickens, however, served another purpose.


I was surprised at how fast they grew and were ready to be butchered.  Here's where YouTube came in handy.  My in-laws did grow up farming so it's not like they were completely clueless.  I chose not to participate in the really gruesome part because I know myself & I would've become vegetarian if I had seen the entire process.  So I waited until they were clean and ready to be cut up & then I headed over.  It would've been nice to stay in my bubble and not experience any of it, but it was important to me to participate in some of the process.  I have cooked the chicken twice now & Allen swears it's the best chicken he's ever had.  It is good & it's getting easier for me to eat it.  I know it's no different than what I was buying from the farmer's market, but there's just something about seeing the process that has messed with my head a little.


Nearly everything in this salad came from our farm.  That's a dinner to be proud of!

No comments: