Saturday, April 9, 2011

Date Night In Tulsa


Last night Allen & I drove to Tulsa for the Kings of Leon/Band of Horses concert.  Considering these are two of our favorite bands, getting tickets to see them together was a no brainer.  It was fun, however, I'm not a fan of arena concerts.  They played at the huge BOK center.  I enjoy concerts much more in a small venue like Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa.  But, this is the down side to bands you've loved for years getting popular.

The other down side is you have to listen to totebags behind you saying stupid things like "that opening band {Band of Horses} was good, but they need a major label and to write a "Use Somebody".  Ugh.  To me, Band of Horses is no opening band.  They are as good as Kings of Leon, just a different style.  They sounded great, but only played for 40 minutes.  Compare this to the awesome two hour performance they gave at Cain's Ballroom last fall & you understand my disappointment.  One thing I love about their performances is they always have a back drop of cool pictures & videos of them. 


I have loved Kings of Leon since 2005 and I will always pay to see them when they come to Oklahoma.  But last night was the first time I felt disappointed.  There were way too many flashing lights & cheesy fireworks.  And they didn't seem to bring the energy they have always impressed me with.  And what is with the extra guy doing back up?  I was happy, however, that they played a good variety of songs, old and new.  Including some great classics like "Molly's Chambers", "Four Kicks", "Taper Jean Girl" & "Fans". 


Here's some of my favorite KOL:









And some favorite BOH:







No comments: