Friday, April 15, 2011

Mama Bertha's Banana Cake


This has always been one of my favorite things my Mama Bertha makes for me.  Sydney likes to help me make it too.  Her job is to mash the bananas.

Banana Cake
1 1/2 c sugar
1 c butter
2 eggs
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp vinegar
3 mashed bananas
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c chopped nuts {I leave these out}

Preheat oven to 350.  Cream sugar & butter.  Add eggs & beat until creamy.  Combine flour, baking soda & baking powder.  Add alternately with milk that has the vinegar added.  Beat until batter is very smooth.  Stir in bananas, vanilla & nuts {optional}.  Spoon batter into greased 9x14 pan.  Bake 30 minutes.

I don't put frosting on it because I prefer it without.  But, here's the recipe for the frosting to go on top.

Frosting
1/2 c butter
1 lb powder sugar
1 c chopped nuts
2 mashed bananas

Cream butter, gradually beat in sugar.  Mash bananas & add to mixture.  Mix well & spread on cooled cake. 

P.S. ~ Chocolate chips in the cake makes it pretty tasty too. ;)

No comments: