Monday, January 10, 2011

Making Homemade Food Convenient: Breakfast

I spent last year learning how to cook from scratch & make my own bread.  But towards the end of the year, keeping up with it was exhausting.  However, I truly believe in this way of eating, so I refused to abandon my new found ways.  I decided to figure out a way to make eating this way a little more convenient.

Breakfast was proving to be the trickiest meal for this new lifestyle.  Sydney is a very picky eater who used to eat processed frozen waffles & sugary cereals for breakfast.  When I eliminated those foods from our life, I tried everything I could find for breakfast for Sydney.  She didn't like any of the organic or "junk" free cereals I bought & she grew tired of the organic granola bars.  She likes peanut butter toast, but some days we don't have bread ready.  She loves pancakes & waffles, but who has time to make those every morning?

Then it occurred to me to make pancakes & waffles & freeze them!  It's no different than buying the ready made frozen waffles & pancakes.  Only, mine are made with real ingredients, partially organic & have no preservatives.  I cook one or two batches of waffles and pancakes, let them cool, wrap them individually in saran wrap, then foil & stick them in the freezer. 


I also mix up a batch of syrup, put it in a container & store in the refrigerator.  It has been so great having good quality, homemade food ready to go in a moments notice.  Just pop a pancake in the microwave for 30 seconds & top with syrup.  Or cook the waffles in the toaster.  The kids LOVE them!  And I love that I found a way for us all to have what we want & help mornings go smoothly.

Traditional Waffles
2 c flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 c milk
6 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large eggs

Mix ingredients.  Let batter rest 5 minutes before using.  Preheat waffle maker.  Pour 1/3 c batter in center of waffle maker & spread out.

Pancakes
1 1/4 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 c milk or buttermilk
2 tbsp melted butter
1 beaten egg

Mix ingredients & stir only until moistened, lumpy & thick.  Cook on hot & buttered griddle.

Syrup
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 c white sugar
1 c water
1 c corn syrup
3 drops vanilla flavor
3 drops maple flavor

Bring sugars & water to a boil.  Then add the rest of the ingredients, stir & remove from heat.

No comments: