Thursday, January 20, 2011

Did You Ever Have One Of Those Weeks?

The last 10 days have been very challenging.  First, I came down with the flu.  I have not had the flu in a decade and forgot what it was like. The worst part is it zaps you of all energy and ability to function in society.  I could not participate in my own life for a few days and that really irritated me. 

Just when I was feeling better and could see the light at the end of the tunnel, Garrett got the flu & an ear infection.  After a few days on antibiotics for the ear infection, he took a turn for the worse.  He started running fever again & the left side of his face started swelling.  I took him to an after hours emergency clinic & they basically said, "duh, he has an ear infection" and sent me home.  In hindsight, going there was a big mistake.  The next day his face was horribly swollen & he acted miserable.  I took him to the pediatrician & they sent us straight to Children's Hospital ER.  I was terrified & confused.  All I really understood was that it could be one of two things: 1. The bone behind the ear had become infected & would require emergency surgery (Mastoiditis) or 2. The skin & lymph nodes had become infected & would require iv antibiotics (Lymphadenitis). I was praying for the second option. 

After being told to rush to the emergency room & make no stops because he might need immediate surgery, it was torture getting to the ER & WAITING 2 hours to see a doctor.  I was so terrified that every minute we spent wasting time could affect a healthy outcome for Garrett.  I am a control freak & feeling out of control when it comes to my child's wellness was about the worst thing I've ever experienced.  Lets just say I didn't make any friends with the ER waiting room staff.  Yeah, I was that Mom.

When we finally did a cat scan, the results showed it was not Mastoiditis & he would not need surgery.  Thank God.  We spent the next two days in the hospital & with every dose of iv antibiotic, his swelling went down and he acted more and more like himself.  That became a whole new challenge...keeping a 2 year old little boy entertained in a tiny little hospital room, especially while hooked up to an iv & monitor. 


Just as Garrett was getting better, Sydney came down with the flu.  There's nothing quite like worrying about the health of both your kids at the same time.  Thank goodness we have a close family.  Allen & I couldn't have made it through this without the help of my Sister, my Mom & Allen's Mom & Dad.

I'm so ready for my family to be healthy and acting like normal.  I'm ready to get back to cooking, playing, taking little adventures, going on dates & having movie nights.  

I drove by our church on our way home from the hospital.  The sign read "Life is not wrapped up in a bow, but it is still a gift."  And as I saw Garrett sleeping in the back seat, I understood what that meant.  Instead of being upset that this happened, I am trying to be thankful that I was able to bring my baby boy home with me, on the mend.  As difficult as my experience was in that hospital, I'm sure some Mother left the hospital that day without the sick baby they came in with.

"Life is not wrapped up in a bow,
but it is still a gift."


No comments: