Thursday, January 27, 2011

Free At Last!

Between Sydney, Garrett & myself, we have been dealing with illness in our house for 18 days.  I don't know how Allen dodged the bullet, but I'm thankful he did not catch the flu.  Today was Garrett's follow up appointment and his ears are clear!  Yay!  He gave us quite a scare & I'm thankful to see him acting like a typical two year old boy again.  Although, a few less tantrums would be nice.


In the midst of our sick fest, we had some exciting new things happen.  Sydney got her first phone call from a friend.  It was hilarious watching her jump out of her seat & run to her room for some privacy.  And I most certainly saw a glimpse into my future with a teenage girl. This is her shooing me out of her closet while talking on my phone.


Allen made us these yummy oatmeal chocolate chip bars when we were all sick. 




He did a great job holding down the fort & was reminded of how much I do around here. He was very relieved when I got back on my feet. He did really impress me though. He cooked from scratch, baked, did laundry & cleaned house! Most men would've just ordered a pizza and called it a day. He is a very progressive man. :) However, it did make me feel very useless watching him do my "to do" list while I laid there staring at the wall, fluctuating between sweating & freezing.  Did I mention the flu sucks?

Garrett had two big changes in one day.  We moved him to a big boy car seat because he is already 42 lbs at 2 1/2 years old.  Yes, you read that right.  He will be bigger than Sydney within a year.  He loves the new seat, but I quickly discovered a glitch in our new system...he can un-buckle the seat belt himself and has chosen to do so three times now.  If I have to pull over one more time because he un-buckled, he's going back to the toddler car seat.



His other exciting change is a big boy bed!  I was in no hurry to move him to a big bed because I knew not to mess with a good thing.  But he decided to start jumping out of the crib the night I got the flu, so we made the switch.  Luckily, the boy loves sleep so much that he stays in his bed.  I am having a hard time getting him to nap in it though, so I'm afraid napping may soon come to an end.  Poor Mommy.


He did a great job helping Allen take down the crib.  I was a little emotional.  We've had that crib for 6 years and now we don't need it. 


This is about the time we noticed the left side of his face starting to swell & he started running a fever. I rushed him to an after hours clinic {which ended up being useless} & Allen & Sydney finished the bed switch out.



And this is what we came home to.  Tada! By the way, we already had this bed.  I may end up painting it navy blue because I'm worried it looks too girly.  But then again, who am I kidding.  I'll be way too lazy to paint all the furniture.


Here's our big boy his first night in his bed.  Unfortunately, he spent the next two nights in the hospital for the ear infection that spread to his lymph nodes.  Hence, the facial swelling.  {Note to self, never trust the after hours clinic.}




His nursery theme was cowboys.  But now I'm re-decorating with a trucks & cars theme.  The boy LOVES all things cars, trucks & tractors.  I'm eventually going to get this bedding from Pottery Barn Kids.

Henry Quilted Bedding

He loves hiding in his bed & I think it's adorable that he really thinks we can't see him. 


This has been a horrible sick season in our area.  Nearly everyone I know has been affected in some way.  I am thankful my kids are back to normal & I will never take their good health for granted.  

No comments: