Saturday, May 21, 2011

When Life Gives You Bad Bread, Make Croutons


I recently had my first bad batch of bread.  I think I got distracted in the kitchen, left what I was doing and when I came back, I could not remember if I had added the salt yet.  Well, it was a 50/50 chance and I guessed wrong.  A loaf of bread without salt does not taste that great.  But I hate throwing away organic ingredients that I spent some time on.  So I tried turning the bad loaf into croutons and it worked! 

I just cut the bread up into small chunks, put on a cookie sheet, tossed them in extra virgin olive oil & garlic salt,  and baked at 400 until browned.

You could also turn old, stale bread into croutons.  Making breadcrumbs is another great option.  Just put bread in food processor with some seasoning of your choice & pulse until you have fine breadcrumbs.

PS ~ That lovely lettuce is from our garden. :)

No comments: