Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Potty Training Success

I learned the first time around that you can lead a kid to the toilet, but you can make him use it.  As soon as Sydney turned 2, I spent the next year trying to convince her it was a good idea to use the toilet.  I also spent a year trying not to lose my mind over the fact that she simply did not care to use the toilet. 

So I decided to take a more relaxed approach with Garrett.  My approach was simple.  No potty training until he seemed ready.  I was starting to wonder if he would ever be ready and was picturing my 13 year old son wearing Depends.  Then, out of nowhere...on Easter...he decided it was a good idea to put his poop in the potty for the first time! {with some m&m bribery} I was so excited...but didn't get my hopes up too much.  However, to my surprise, from then on, he used the potty.  By himself.  Very independently.  Wow!  That was easy!  So Moms, it's true what they say...if you wait until they are ready, potty training is very easy.  I'm happy to report that Garrett was potty trained by his 3rd birthday and it only took 3 days.  Yep, that's it.  After 3 days, I no longer had to remind or bribe him.  He would go do it by himself without even letting me know until after the fact. 

Potty training a boy has been pretty comical around here.  Logistically, it's a whole new world for me.  And there's not much cuter to me in this world than his hiney in big boy underwear.


No comments: