Monday, November 15, 2010

Mexican Food 101

I have loved Mexican food my entire life.  Luckily, my family loves it just about as much as I do.  The most important part to making Mexican food at home is homemade salsa.  It is the base for everything.  Once you get it down, you can cook it all.  Let me just first say that I am not an exact measurement kind of cook.  I eyeball everything.  So forgive me if my instructions are confusing.  And forgive me for using "about" way too much!  Let me also say that I haven't invented anything new or fancy in the kitchen.  I'm just showing you how a Mom of 2 gets some good food on the table!  Here's how I do it.



Salsa
In my food processor I add:
4 or 5 Roma tomatoes
1 or 2 jalapenos, depending on size
About 1/4 of a white or red onion
Tons of cilantro...if you think you have enough, add a little more ;)
Pinch of salt

Blend a little for pico.  Blend a lot for salsa. 


~ The beginnings of salsa ~
Guacamole
Mash up 2 avocados.  Add a pinch of salt.  Add a squirt of lime.  Add a couple heaping spoonfuls of your salsa/pico.  Mix together.  Done!

Rice
I use whole grain brown rice.  Use the cooking instructions on box, but add to the water: several heaping spoonfuls of your salsa/pico, some frozen corn, a little extra virgin olive oil, salt & rough chopped cilantro.  Cook according to box.  Done!

Black Beans
Mix canned black beans with several heaping spoonfuls of homemade salsa & rough chopped cilantro.  Heat up on stove.  To turn it into more of a black bean soup, after it's heated, stir in some sour cream and top with some grated cheddar cheese.

Quesidillas
You can pan fry (sprayed with Pam or with a little butter), cook in the oven at 350, or microwave...depending on how lazy you are feeling.  I think pan fry is the easiest with the best results.  I make two kinds:
1. Smear a very thin layer of cream cheese on a flour tortilla.  Top it with pepper jack cheese & fold over.  Cook until golden. 
2. Put cheddar or monterrey jack cheese in a flour tortilla.  Top with a little homemade pico & fold over.  Cook until golden.

Tostadas
These are so easy!  This is our "go to" thing when nobody feels like cooking.   Just smear some re-fried beans on a tostada and top with your favorite cheese.  Cook in the oven at 350 or microwave.  You can also go all out with some cooked chicken, onions or jalapenos.  After it's cooked, top with any of these: sour cream, guacamole, shredded lettuce, chopped black olives, chopped tomatoes & fresh chopped cilantro.  I love meals like this where everyone can cater it to their own liking.  And my kids LOVE these!

Chicken Enchiladas
This is one of my favorite recipes!  My Mother-in-law passed this recipe down to me.  I have made some changes over the years and found that this is my favorite way to make these:

Ingredients:
About 4 or 5 chicken breasts
12 oz cream cheese, softened.
1 can chopped green chiles w/juice
Flour tortillas
About 1 to 1 1/2 lbs grated pepper jack cheese

Boil chicken breasts for about 30-45  minutes until cooked through.  I cut them up some to speed up the cooking process.  Shred cooked chicken with forks.  In a bowl, mix up the cream cheese & green chiles.  Add shredded chicken and mix well.  Spoon a dab of the mixture into flour tortillas, roll up and place in casserole dish.  Cover with shredded pepper jack cheese. Sprinkle with some fresh cilantro.  Bake at 350, uncovered, until heated through.  They taste great topped with homemade salsa & guacamole!

I usually get two large casserole dishes of enchiladas out of this.  This is a meal that takes a little time, but makes so much you can eat leftovers for days.  I love cooking once and having the next couple evenings off!  It's also great when you're feeding a large crowd.

Stuffed Jalapeno or Poblano Peppers
Allen's Grandma makes these, and I think it's safe to say that Allen & I are addicted to them!  She calls them pepper poppers & uses jalapenos.  But I tried the recipe with poblano peppers and it works great too.

8 oz cream cheese, softened
4 oz sharp cheddar, grated
4 oz Monterrey jack, grated
1 container bacon bits
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Bread crumbs
Jalapenos or Poblano peppers (halved & seeded)

Mix cream cheese, cheddar & monterrey jack cheeses, bacon bits, chili powder & garlic powder.  Stuff mixture into halved peppers.  Dip cheese side into bread crumbs.  Bake on cookie sheet at 300 for: 20 min for hot, 30 min for medium, 40 min for mild. 


Fajitas
Veggie Fajitas: Cook sliced onions and jalapenos in extra virgin olive oil until cooked down.  Squirt with lime juice right before removing from heat.  Eat on flour tortillas topped with salsa, guacamole, cheese &/or sour cream.



Chicken or steak Fajitas:  Cook the meat on the grill.  It's best to marinate all day in some lime juice & fajita seasoning.  Eat on flour tortillas with grilled jalapenos & onions.  Top with the same goodies.

Taco Soup
My Mama Bertha (Grandma) makes this & I love it!  And I love her!

1 lb ground beef
1 yellow onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 14 1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 16 oz can kidney beans (drained)
1 16 oz pinto beans (drained)
1 16 oz black beans (drained)
1 16 oz can whole kernel corn (drained)
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
1 25 oz pkg taco seasoning mix

Cook ground beef & garlic in large pot.  Drain (if needed) and add onions.  Let onions cook down a little, then stir in the rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer uncovered 30 minutes.  Top with cheddar & sour cream if you'd like!

Chicken Enchilada Dip
A friend of Allen's gave us this recipe.  It's great as an appetizer for parties.  Serve with tortilla chips.

2 chicken breasts
8 oz cream cheese
1 c real mayo
1 c cheddar cheese
4 oz chopped green chiles

Boil chicken for about 30-45 minutes until cooked through.  Shred cooked chicken & mix with all other ingredients.  Place in small baking dish, top with a little extra cheddar & bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Bean Salsa Dip
Another great recipe for parties, from another friend. 

1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can red kidney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn niblets
1 pkg dry ranch dressing
Italian dressing (eyeball the amount)
1 white onion
1 avocado
Fresh cilantro

Chop onion, avocado & cilantro.  Mix all remaining ingredients & chill.  Serve with chips!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum!!!! Thanks for sharing! We eat mexican food at least twice a week!

Anonymous said...

Yum!!!! Thanks for sharing! We eat mexican food at least twice a week!