Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Broccoli Cheddar Soup


I made broccoli cheddar soup using this recipe I found on Pinterest.  It's probably safe to say I'm addicted to Pinterest.  As if I  needed another internet time sucker.  So far, every recipe I've tried on Pinterest has been good.  This soup was delicious and is definitely going in the rotation for dinner.



In my usual fashion, I did not follow the recipe exactly, but I stayed pretty close.  I used frozen broccoli instead of fresh and it worked just fine.  I just ran it under water to thaw and drained the water out of it. I left out the onions because Allen isn't a big fan.  I doubled the milk and omitted the half and half.  Also, I used all Colby cheese. And I didn't use cardamom because, frankly, I have no earthly idea what it is.   So with all those changes, it turned out great! 

Broccoli Cheddar Soup {my version of the recipe}
1/4 c butter
1 clove garlic
1/4 c flour
2 c milk
2 c chicken stock
1/2 lb frozen broccoli that has been thawed & drained
1 c shredded carrot
1/4 tsp nutmeg
12 oz grated Colby jack cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

Saute garlic in the butter over medium heat.  Add in the flour, stirring constantly.  Add in the milk and chicken stock.  Bring to almost a boil.  Add broccoli and carrots.  Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes. Season the soup with salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Stir in cheese and let simmer 10 minutes longer before serving.

We ate ours with baked potatoes.  I'm craving this dinner as I type.

No comments: